Album Review: Charlotte Day Wilson - Alpha

Alpha is the debut studio full-length album by Canadian singer Charlotte Day Wilson, It was released on July 9, 2021. this was probably my most highly anticipated record of the year. there is truly something so special about charlotte day wilson's voice/tone and the mood she sets. for some reason, 'alpha' ended up missing the mark for me. maybe I was expecting too much...but I really thought there would be some more interesting things happening. perhaps it will grow on me, After having worked with artists like BadBadNotGood and Daniel Caesar, Canadian singer, songwriter and producer Charlotte Day Wilson come through with a very promising debut in ALPHA. Throughout these r&b and soulful tracks, Wilson talks about her experiences navigating through love being a queer woman. She has an enchanting voice that is utilized throughout to build layers around her main vocal with stunning effect (check out the entirety of “Mountains” and the tail ends of “If I Could” & “Wish It Was Easy”). Other tracks like “I Can Only Whisper”, “Take Care of You” and “Keep Moving” do provide nice movement and grooves, yet she still sounds great when things are left acoustic, minimal and very chill (“Lovesick Utopia”, “Wish It Was Easy”). ALPHA proves to be a nice and tranquil debut that could be perfect for quiet times with a loved one. I rate this record 9/10.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album Review: Luz Futuro - Falsos Techos

Album Review: Tears For Fears - The Tripping Point

Album Review: Twin Tribes - Ceremony