Album Review: Mexican Institute of Sound - Distrito Federal

Distrito Federal is the sixth studio full-length album by Mexican Electronic Musician Mexican Institute of Sound, It was released on February 5, 2021. I developed an interest in Mexican electronic music and a couple months ago, I have mixed feelings about the Distrito Federal. Let me divide my impressions into two distinctly different parts. First, I really enjoy the music. Camilo Lara (aka, the Mexican Institute of Sound) presents an array of 10 tracks representing a variety of different cumbia and traditional styles. He's a gifted electronic composer, without question. He grafts together snippets of all sorts of things and mixes them with a bunch of strange electronic sounds and interesting rhythms. The end result is some very catchy songs and pleasant listening. It's very interesting music, like nothing you've ever heard before, and it has a certain hard-to-define sense of humor. I'm not familiar with his samplings, yet I find his constructions to be interesting and humorous. I guess you'd have to say that his music cuts across significant cultural and language barriers and is easily accessible to a wide audience willing to give a listen. It's no wonder this recording got a certain widespread notice, I rate this 8/10. 

Image result for distrito federal mexican institute of sound album cover

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Album Review: Luz Futuro - Falsos Techos

Album Review: Tears For Fears - The Tripping Point

Album Review: Twin Tribes - Ceremony